Wondering if you can improve the performance of your router? The answer is simple: yes, you can. A router with pre-installed firmware has only basic features. Whether speaking of range, speed or security, these routers are good but not the best. If you are not a tech geek, then these routers are more than sufficient for your need.
However, if you want your router to give more power, then you can do it by replacing its software with the Tomato firmware. This is more advanced than the default firmware in every aspect. It may sound tempting to upgrade your router to better functions, but it is not that simple.
Hence, it is better to get a router that is already designed in a way to support Tomato software. If you plan to buy a router for Tomato, you have landed at the right place. In this article, we have compiled a list of the 7 best router for tomato present in the market. Also, there is a buying guide to assist you in finding the ideal router for yourself.
1. ASUS RT-AC66U B1 AC1750 Dual-Band WiFi Router, AiMesh Compatible for Mesh WiFi System – Best Choice
The first on our list is the RT-AC66U by ASUS. ASUS is of the well-known brands which provide powerful and high-grade routers. This router offers a wide range, fast speed, and stable networks.
Not only that, it is versatile and can be used as a mesh as well. It uses all the latest and best features along with the far reach of coverage. The list of its features does not end there. There are many other virtues given below. The design of this router is unique and stylish.
Why is it unique?
First off, the speed provided by the tri-band router is outstanding. The combined speed is 3200 Mbps, which will cover all internet requirements in today’s lifestyle. The beamforming technology enables the wifi to reach the devices in a focused form rather than being spread out in a large area.
After analyzing customers’ numerous feedback, it will be clear that this product has an outstanding ability to offer speed and range simultaneously. The buyers also like the router’s elegant design, which makes it stand out from the rest of them. All in all, the buyers would recommend it to others.
Best fit for
The routers are compatible with Microsoft Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, 2000, Me, XP, Mac OS X 10.1 or later. Other than that, it also supports Linux Kernel and Linux.
- 1GHz CPU powers dual-band 3x3 802.11ac Wi-Fi technology for speeds up to 1750Mbps and wide, responsive coverage for...
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS Router App; Firewall：SPI...
- Effortless router setup with ASUSWRT web-based interface. OS Support - Linux,Windows 8,Windows 10,Windows 7 ,Mac OS X or...
- Integrated USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports enable printer sharing throughout your network and remote file access with AiCloud 2.0...
2. ASUS AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router, AiProtection Lifetime Security by Trend Micro (RT-AC3200) – Best Security
Another router by ASUS, AC3200, is next on our list. This tri-band router is fast enough to offer smooth and trouble-free downloading and streaming, whether audio or HD videos, on each of your devices. Every step has been taken to ensure that the security is never compromised.
The six external antennas may look absurd, but due to these antennas, the coverage and stability of the wifi connection. Also, this router has allowed more flexibility for the users. ASUS is a well-known brand, and like its other products, this is too a trustworthy router.
Why is it unique?
The combined speed of this combined router is 3200 Mbps, which is one of the highest speeds you can find in the router. At 2.4 GHz bandwidth, the speed is 600Mbps, while at two 5 GHz bandwidths, it is 2600 Mbps.
AI protection software used in this router is regarded as a highly safe security protocol. Hence, your data and network remain safe. Parental control enables the user to customize the network in such a way that it remains safe for young children.
Buyers who have used this router for long enough state that it works well. The quality of the signal and the speed both came out to be just as promised in the description. Therefore, most buyers said that they would advise others to buy it as well.
Best fit for
If you are into extensive online gaming and want to maintain the network’s security, this router is ideal for you.
- Smart Connect automatically selects the fastest band for all devices individually, based on their demands and...
- Built-in USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports for up to 10-times faster data transfers to USB storage devices1, printer sharing,...
- ASUSWRT graphical user interface for easy, CD-free 30-second setup and hassle-free advanced network...
- Protection with Trend Micro with triple-strength total network security, plus robust parental controls and privacy...
3. Linksys AC1900 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router (EA6900) Gigabit & USB 3.0 Ports, Smart Wi-Fi App – Most Stable Network
This router by Linksys is one of the best routers you can find at this rate. Three external antennas can be adjusted to optimize the range as per your conditions. With this router, you can enjoy swift data speed on all your devices.
It is designed in a way to make the network more reliable to ensure that the signal does not drop suddenly. Thanks to the beamforming technology, interference in the network are minimized. Use the free Linksys Smart app to manage your wifi from any location.
Why is it unique?
The two bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, provide a combined speed of 1900 Mbps. With its wide range, it can provide stable and consistent wifi in your smart devices. This router allows the user to control various aspects of the network, like prioritizing devices that can access the fastest bandwidth, parental control, and guest access. To connect your devices through wired connections, it has four ethernet ports and one port of both USB 2.0 and 3.0.
According to the customers, this router showed remarkable improvement in the wifi. They were able to enjoy lag-free content on their devices in every part of your house. The app was easy to use and manage with its user-friendly interface. All in all, this is a great product.
Best fit for
It supports a wide range of OS like Windows XP SP3, Vista SP1, 7, 8, MAC, Lion 10.7, Mountain Lion 10.8, and more.
- Up to N600 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + AC1300 Mbps (5.0 GHz) speeds with Simultaneous Dual Band
- Platform Compatibility : Windows XP, Windows Vista 32/64, Windows 7 32/64, Windows 8 32/64, Mac 10.5.8 Leopard, Mac...
- Includes Linksys Smart Wi Fi providing easy CD free set up, remote network management, parental control and app enabled...
- 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0 port to print, share and store content. 3 adjustable external antennas provide maximum range
4. NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000) – AC3200 Tri-band Wireless Speed (Up to 3200 Mbps) | Up to 50 Devices – Best Speed
Packed with several features, this router for Tomato firmware has a great performance. Its design is modern and straightforward, so you need to worry about it spoiling your house’s look. Not only is it fast, but it also offers a wide range to ensure no corner is left without a proper network.
The management of the network is made easy by providing the circle app. The installation is also done using this app. Moreover, with parental control, you can limit the time for which a device can stay connected.
Why is it unique?
This tri-band delivers a total speed of 3200 Mbps, which is capable of providing lag-free internet. It can link up to 50 devices present in the range of 3500 sq. ft. It uses NETGEAR Armor for strong security, which will save your network from viruses, data theft, etc. Additional features included in this product are guest access, beamforming, four 1G Ethernet ports, and one 3.0 and 2.0 USB port.
The features of this router have gained the appreciation of its buyers. Almost every buyer states that the performance of this router is just what it promises. With its wide range, it does not leave any dead spots in their house or place of work.
Best fit for
Keeping in mind the fast speed that it offers, it is ideal for heavy-duty gaming or streaming. If you have a two-storey house, this router will provide a high-speed network all around the house.
- Recommended for up to 50 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- Wired Ethernet ports: plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1...
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 6 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, Dynamic...
- USB connections: Share a storage drive and printer with any connected device, and create a personal cloud storage to...
5. NETGEAR Smart WiFi Router with Dual Band Gigabit for Amazon Echo/Alexa – AC1750 (R6400-100NAS) – Most Easy to Install
Another router by NETGEAR, this router for Tomato is efficient in speed and ease in management. Together with beamforming and dual-band technology, this router is known to provide a seamless streaming experience.
It has a sleek and elegant design so that it takes less space for storage. Along with that, it has some of the best security protocols, including parental control, which allows you to filter websites in the connected devices, guest network, WPA/WPA2 encryption.
Why is it unique?
The powerful external antennas provide a long-range along with a high speed of 450 Mbps at 2.4 GHz and 1300 Mbps at 5 GHz. Perfect for a family as it can connect up to 12 people.
Moreover, it has one USB 2.0 port and five Ethernet ports to connect wires for even better networks in your devices. The nighthawk app makes the task of customizing the network effectively.
The buyers are very satisfied with the performance of the router. They love what they got at such an affordable price. The wifi it offers is seamless, and the range is amazing. Even the people who are not very experienced in the tech field were able to set up on their own. In short, it is worth buying.
Best fit for
Operating systems that it can support are Microsoft Windows 7, 8 Vista, 2000, XP, Mac OS, UNIX, and Linux.
- Compatible with Amazon Echo/Alexa – Control your home network using voice commands.
- AC1750 WiFi—450+1300 Mbps speeds and high-power external antennas
- Dual band—Reduces interference for better connections to more WiFi devices.
- Advanced QoS—Optimized for smooth HD streaming and gaming.System Requirements:Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, XP,...
6. Linksys WRT3200ACM Dual-Band Open Source Router for Home – Most Durable
Another great Linksys router that made it on our list is WRT3200ACM. This wireless router is dual-band and has many features, including MU-MIMO, which is essential to technology if you want stable connections in all the devices linked to the wifi.
The design’s look is simple and includes four external antennas that work together to increase the range and center the signal of wifi towards the devices only so that the power of the signal is not reduced.
Why is it unique?
It has features like MU-MIMO, beamforming, etc. The number of ethernet ports is four, along with one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0. The speed at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz is 2600 and 600 Mbps. With the smart wifi app, you can customize the network from anywhere and at any time. Use the parental control feature to filter the content on the websites and schedule time limits on devices.
Speaking of the buyers, most of them had only positive things to say about this router. It is manufactured properly and delivers a network with constant speed. Consequently, it works perfectly and is worthy of investment.
Best fit for
The operating system you can use it with is MAC OS 10.X or later, Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
- Fast wireless router provides Wi-Fi coverage for your home (works with existing modem)
- Open source firmware offers advanced customization; Certified operating systems: MacOS (10.X or higher), Windows 7,...
- Tri stream 160 technology doubles bandwidth from 80 MHz to 160 MHz
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
Last but not least is yet another router by Linksys. It is dual-band wifi, which is simple in design and available at a feasible price. If you want a pocket-friendly solution for slow internet speed in your house, then this is the router that you need.
It uses a 1.6 GHz dual-core processor, which provides uninterrupted speed in the linked devices. Also, it uses a new and enhanced memory, which ensures quicker data transmission. Other than that, it also has beamforming technology as well.
Why is it unique?
There are two bands, 2.4 and 5 GHz. At 2.4 GHz, speed is 600 Mbps and 1300 Mbps at 5 GHz. In addition to that, there are one 2.0 and 3,0 USB for more incredible data sharing speed. To connect devices through wires, one can use one of the four ethernets available in the router. The four antennas attached to the router are responsible for its wide range.
Judging by the reactions of the customers to this product, it can be concluded that this is a perfect router for homes where one requires higher speeds and fast data transmission. Thus, the customers are satisfied with this router.
Best fit for
It is ideal for homes that need swift connections for HD 4K streaming, gaming, and smooth downloading.
- Wireless AC, up to 4.3x faster than N technology: Simultaneous dual band speed up to 600 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + 1300 Mbps (5...
- 4 high performance antennas: Engineered to enhance dual band communication, four external, adjustable antennas ensure...
- Dual Core 1.6 GHz CPU: Powerful CPU promotes simultaneous high speed data processing allowing multiple users to...
- Share content via an external storage device with ultra fast data transfer speeds. USB 3.0 delivers enhanced performance...
What is Tomato Firmware?
Before we get into the reviews of the routers, let us first understand what exactly Tomato software is. This was first introduced in December 2016 by Jonathan Zarate. This is a Linux-based firmware for Broadcom-based communication devices like routers. In simple language, it is router software.
The main purpose of this firmware is to enhance the performance of a router. A router with factory firmware does not provide much elasticity to its user and has many other limitations. For this reason, Tomato firmware was developed.
This was perfect for people who wanted better performing routers than the usual ones. Owing to its various benefits, soon many routers that are compatible with this firmware came into the market. Hence, one has a wide range of routers for Tomato to choose from.
Why Choose A Tomato Compatible Router?
The real question is, why not? Tomato firmware works better than normal firmware in every way. Everybody wants to remove the usual issues like instability, dead zones that are unavoidable in any basic router, and Tomato firmware is the way to do so.
For the most part, it is easy to install on most routers. The network it provides is stable and consistent throughout its range. The signal also becomes reliable. It provides more freedom for users to view and manage the network.
The users can see who is using the network and in what way. Adjust the bandwidths and even block certain users from accessing the network. Consequently, increasing the security of the signal as well.
What Are The Benefits Of Tomato Compatible Routers?
There are numerous benefits of Tomato compatible routers. Imagine a Tomato compatible router same as any router except it is more efficient. This means it has higher speed, better coverage, and easy management, etc.
When the network is congested, then it can filter it and maximize network stability. Guest access is another significant feature. It lets the guest connect their devices quickly without the need to share the network key.
Faster USB file sharing, a user-friendly interface, eliminating dead spots are some of the other benefits it can offer. The list does not end here, but these are enough to conclude that Tomato firmware routers have many advantages and are worth buying.
Best Tomato Router: Buying Guide
Now that you have read the above description, you must have an idea about the various features of a router for Tomato software. However, there are some features which are more important than the others. The buying guide is all about such features. This covers the features which are important to keep in mind when buying such routers.
1. Internet speed
Speed is one of the important factors of a buying guide. Every router offers different speeds. To decide which speed your router should have, you need to consider two points, your internet package and your purpose of buying a router.
No matter what is the maximum speed a router can deliver, it can never be more than what your internet package allows. Hence, there is no point in buying a router that offers more speed than your internet package. It is only going to increase the cost and will be of no use. Choose a router that offers just the right speed as per your package.
If you are buying a router for gaming purposes, then you need faster speed than what you will require for net surfing. Therefore, the speed of your router should be according to your internet activities.
The coverage or range of a router is a significant virtue. You must ensure that the range of the router is wide enough to cover all the corners of your house, office, or any place you are going to use the router.
Insufficient coverage will leave dead spots. This refers to the area where the signal cannot reach, or even if it does, it is not proper. So, you need to buy a router with the appropriate range and do not go for a router with a range that is too long as it will not be of any value.
3. Capacity of devices
You cannot connect any number of devices to a router. Every router can only link a fixed number of devices. Make sure that the router you choose has the right number of capacity of devices that can be connected.
There is no harm in buying a router that has a little more capacity than you need. This will be helpful if the number of smart devices you use increases in the future. There are also ethernet and USB ports which are used to connect devices via cable. Check that it has the number of ports you require.
Antennas play a significant role in determining the quality of the network. If you need to use routers in a large area, the antennas become a vital part of the router. It will provide a long and sharp signal. Moreover, adjustable antennas allow the user to point the antenna in the direction where they require the bandwidth.
Improper research might lead you to buy a router, which is expensive but not suitable. Hence, one should not make this decision in a hurry. To find a product which not only suits your demands but is also available at the best price, you first need to list down the features you want in your router.
Compare different brands that offer the same features. Take the help of the reviews to find which routers have good performance. This will give you a Tomato Router list which are efficient and available at fair prices.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Which is better: DD-WRT or Tomato?
A1. This is a question that many people wonder about. It is also not easy to answer because there is no solid point based on which we can conclude which one is better. They both have some perks and drawbacks.
Moreover, there is a great deal which is common between them, which makes it even more challenging to choose between the two. More range, fast speed, enhanced security, and more are some of the common virtues of both.
Coming to the differences, Tomato is much easier to understand and use. Also, it has better OpenVPN support. You can choose the VPN provider you want. One can even use two OpenVPN and allows you to switch between them as per your needs.
DD-WRT, on the other hand, is less expensive and easily available. If you want to use wireless repeaters modes or create a wifi hotspot, this will be only possible in DD-WRT.
Consequently, we cannot decide which one is better based on their disadvantages or benefits. The correct firmware for you depends on the virtues you prioritize. Hence, decide what features you want in your router and then choose the firmware.
You can also compare by checking out the Best DD-WRT router.
Q2. What are the steps to flash a router?
A2. If you are not a tech-savvy person, the process of ‘flashing a router’ may sound tricky to you. Although, in reality, it is not that difficult to understand. Given below are the steps which, when followed correctly, you can easily flash your router.
1. The first step is to download the flashing software, also called recovery software. You can get it from the official website of the router’s company.
2. Now download the Tomato firmware, which is compatible with your router, from their website.
3. Open the flashing software on your computer and locate the Tomato firmware that is to be installed. Do not upgrade it right now.
4. Now you have to set the router in recovery mode manually. To do this, remove the plug of the router, push and hold the reset button. While doing this, plug the router again into the power supply and keep the button pressed for 10 seconds more. If the LED indicator is blinking, release the button, and you are good to go.
5. After this, hit the upload button in the flashing software, which came up in step 3. Now let the process finish.
6. Once the upload is finished, clear the NVRAM by following the same steps we did in step 4 but this time with the WPS button. Remove the power cord, push, and hold the WPS button. Plug it in again and release the button after 10 seconds.
7. After completing the above steps, wait for a few minutes and then connect your router and type in your router’s IP address in the browser address.
8. Sign in the Tomato firmware using your default username and password, and it is ready to use.
Q3. What are some best brands that can provide good routers for tomato?
A3. Well, as there are a plethora of brands present around us, it can be challenging to find out the best brand for each product. However, reviews in such cases can help a lot and depending upon the reviews the best brands for tomato include Netgear, Asus, and Linksys.
As the number of devices being used in our day to day life is increasing, routers are becoming more of a necessity than a choice. There is no way one can afford to have a router with ‘just fine’ performance. Hence, a router that can support Tomato firmware is a good choice.
We hope that this article, Best router for tomato provided you with useful information to help you select one router that fits your requirements. Also, remember to consider the points of the buying guide.
Last update on 2021-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API