Having a router is essential if you want fast and stable wifi connections in your home. As the number of smart devices used in homes increases, it becomes vital that you get a router that is. When looking for a router for your apartment, you will find that there are hundreds of routers to choose from.
Deciding which one to buy can be a demanding task if you do not do proper research. Although there are many routers present in the market, not all of them are good. Also, the type of router you should get depends on certain factors. These factors will leave you with only a handful of routers to select from.
To simplify the task of finding a good router for you, we have curated a list of the 5 best router for apartments. You will find a detailed review of each of these products. Besides that, there is a brief description of the factors mentioned above in the buying guide, which will help you find the ideal router for yourself.
1. TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) – Best Choice
TP-Link is a well-known brand when it comes to routers. It has a wide range of good routers, and Archer A7 is one of them. This router is designed for homes and apartments. Hence, it will fulfil the needs of wifi at your home.
The features included in this router make it efficient in range, speed and security. This dual-band router is simple to install and customize. With parental control, you are in charge of managing the network of children in your house.
Why is it unique?
When it comes to range, this router can link devices within the area of 2500 sq. ft. You can connect up to 50 devices. The speed is delivered at 1300 Mbps at 5 GHz, while at 2.4 GHz, it is 450 Mbps, hence providing a total speed of 1750 Mbps. There are 4 Gigabit ports and one 2.0 USB ports included in this product. With the help of the Tether app, you can easily manage the network. Connect it to Alexa to use through voice command.
Most buyers say that this router is just outstanding. It has all the features it promises. After using this router, the users could access fast internet on all their home devices. Also, they are very durable, and they work perfectly. Hence, making it a great product.
Best Fit For
This router can work on operating systems Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, UNIX, Linux and Mac OS.
- JD Power Award ---Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Router for wireless internet, works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450mbps for 2.4GHz, 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering...
- 3 external antennas for long range Wi-Fi. System Requirements-Internet Explorer 11, Firefox 12.0, Chrome 20.0, Safari...
2. TP-Link N450 WiFi Router – Wireless Internet Router For Home (TL-WR940N) – Most Reliable
The second on our list is also by TP-Link. This router is a single-band router but is strong enough to meet the network requirements all around the house. With parental control, one can ensure that the internet is safe for children.
Not only it has enhanced security features, but it is also backward compatible so that you can connect all your old generation devices as well. The three antennas assist in creating a network that has a wide coverage.
Why is it unique?
The speed of data transmission is 450 Mbps. There are four ethernet ports present to connect devices via an ethernet cable. Parental control allows the user to control various aspects of the network like setting a time limit for internet access in a device, viewing history etc. Moreover, it includes 3×3 MU-MIMO technology so that multiple users can enjoy fast data speeds.
In the customers’ opinion, this router was successful in delivering swift internet speed in the devices present at home. Moreover, it is built with good quality materials so that it can last long. All in all, it is a product worth considering.
Best Fit For
Operating systems like Windows NT, XP, 98SE, 2000, Vista, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Netware, UNIX, Linux and Mac OS can link to this router.
- Wireless N speed up to 450Mbps, ideal for bandwidth-intensive tasks like HD video streaming, VoIP, and online gaming....
- 802.11n technology, 15x faster with 5x the range of 802. 11g, Three antennas for increased coverage and stability,...
- IP based bandwidth control allows you to determine how much bandwidth is allotted to each device, WPS button for...
- Parental Controls to manage Internet access on children's or employees's computers, Industry-leading 2-year and...
3. Tenda AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router – Best Price
AC1200 by Tenda has some of the best features. It is one of the best Wifi router for apartment homes. The four antennas in the router ensure that the signal is spread in a wide area. The parental control and blacklist feature allow the user to control who uses the network and how.
With the dual-band, this router becomes versatile and can be used for many purposes. LED lightings to indicate the status, beamforming, four antennas, and more are the other features included in this product.
Why is it unique?
With the help of MU-MIMO technology, one can connect various devices without affecting the quality of the network. The range is 2000 sq. ft. Moreover, the combined speed delivered by the router is 1200 sq. ft. At 2.4 GHz, the speed is 300 Mbps, while at 5 GHz, it is 867 Mbps. The four Ethernet ports are present to connect the devices through wired connections. WPA/WPA2 encryption for proper security.
Almost every buyer had something good to say about this product. Not only is it budget-friendly, but it works just as well as a costly router. The users’ state due to the presence of such advanced features like MU-MIMO and beamforming, this product truly won the hearts of the users.
Best Fit For
It is compatible with most ISP and operating systems. Keeping in mind the speed, you can use it for gaming, streaming high-quality videos or web surfing.
- Get lightning quick connections for all your wireless devices by upgrading to Tenda's enhanced 1200 Mbps high speed Wi...
- Link up to 20 wireless devices like the Google assistant, Alexa and various steaming devices, simultaneously, while...
- 4 omni directional antennas with beamforming and Mu Mimo technology, deliver high speed internet throughout your home...
- Manage your network from anywhere with the fun to use Tenda Wi fi app and access helpful tools like our parent friendly...
4. Wireless Router 1200Mbps Long Range Wifi Router – Best Speed
This lightweight router is great for producing a stable and robust network for all your home devices. With its four antennas, the range is extended. Also, it will avoid blockage or slowing down of signal due to walls or other solid obstacles.
It is a dual-band router providing 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz of bandwidths. With the user manual, you will find it extremely easy to use and manage. The security systems are there to protect the network from troublemakers.
Why is it unique?
This is a router as well as a range extender. It can transfer data at the speed of 300 and 867 Mbps at 2.4 and 5 GHz, respectively. There is a WPA, WPA2 and WEP encryption. Whether you want to do online gaming or net surfing, this router has got you covered. There are four LAN ports and one USB port to help you find.
After analyzing the different reviews given by customers, it could be seen that this router provided the user with better wifi connections in every part of the house. Also, there was no instability in the wifi. Therefore, most buyers would recommend others to buy this product.
Best Fit For
Any device with operating systems like Windows XP, Vista, 10, 8, 7 and Mac, can be connected to this. It can also support Android.
- Long range Wi-Fi router works great for wireless internet in homes offices restaurants. A secure router have 3 access...
- Dual band Wi-Fi router, the actual speed of access to the Internet is based on your internet service. If your internet...
- High speed wireless router delivers up to 300Mbps at 2.4GHz or 866Mbps at 5GHz, which allows you to experience smooth...
- This amazing smart router can be used as Wi-Fi Repeater If you choose the "WISP "mode. Note This router have 3 access...
5. WAVLINK AC1200 Touch Link Smart Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router Omni Directional Antennas For Online Game&HD Video – Best Security
This router is very similar to other routers when it comes to speed and range. However, it has many additional features that make it stand out from the rest of the routers. The four 5 dBi antennas are the secret behind the consistent signal it provides.
The installation process of this router is one of the easiest. Whether talking about security or other features like beamforming, this product has everything. It can work on various generation devices, whether latest or old.
Why is it unique?
The speed delivered by this product is 867 at 5 GHz and 300 Mbps at 2.4 GHz. Hence, giving a total speed of almost 1200 Mbps. With its touch link feature, you can easily link your guest’s devices without the need to share your network key. Beamforming allows fast networks in all the devices without interference. Moreover, this product uses WPA/WPA2 encryption as a security protocol.
The buyers who have used this product for long enough state that this product is just what it promises. It gave an impressive performance. Moreover, it has a unique and compact design. Therefore, this product is advisable for many people.
Best Fit For
This router is powerful enough to be used for extensive gaming on your laptops and computers.
- ✅【Advanced Touchlink Technology】Touchlink technology makes the most delightful thing ever when you have a party or...
- ✅【Unlimited Streaming for All Your Devices】With combined speeds of 867Mbps on the 5GHz band and 300Mbps on the...
- ✅【Long Range Wi-Fi Router】4x5dBi Omni Directional Antennas and Beamforming Technology works great with wireless...
- ✅【Gigabit Ports for More Needs】Gigabit Ethernet ports operates 10X faster than the standard, which helps your...
Where To Place A Router In Your Apartment For The Best WiFi Coverage?
You might not be aware of the fact that the location of a router largely affects its performance. Hence, it is necessary to place the router in such a way that it can operate efficiently. This will provide you with the best out of your router. Given below are some things to keep in mind to find the best place for router.
- The first thing to remember is that the router should be placed in the centre of the house rather than in a cornered room. This will spread out the network in all directions up to its maximum capacity. This is an effective method to avoid dead spots in your apartment.
- It should not be kept hidden on a shelf or under the table. We often do that because most routers look ugly, and users want them out of their sight. But one should keep it behind substantial obstacles as materials like wood, metal, brick block the signal. Therefore, keep it out in an open space.
- Also, there should not be a microwave near the router as it will interfere with the network. If your router has adjustable external antennas, then you have the advantage of adjusting them towards the device where you need the most bandwidth. If you keep the router in a location with keeping the above points in your mind, you can maximize your router’s performance.
Now that you have read the reviews of the 5 best wireless router for apartment, you will have an idea about what are the different features of a router. But how do you decide what features are most vital to have? This is when the buying guide comes into the picture. A buying guide refers to the features that one should always check in a router. Given below are some such factors.
Different routers offer different speeds. The speed you need in your router depends on what your purpose is. For instance, if you want it for a seamless gaming experience, HD streaming or normal day-to-day work like checking emails or net surfing.
It is evident that for gaming, you need to have a higher speed. Hence, it is important that you make sure that the speed of the router is according to your requirements.
Coverage or range of the router is one of the essential factors. Ensure that the range of the router is sufficient as per the size of your apartment. If it is insufficient, it will result in dead spots, which refer to the places where the router cannot reach.
Also, buying a router with a range that is too wide is only going to increase the cost and will be of no use.
3. MU-MIMO Technology
This is a technology that is a must-have in a router. Owing to MU-MIMO, all the users connected to the wifi can enjoy a fast speed network. Earlier, with SU-MIMO, this was not possible. SU-MIMO is not capable of providing a stable network to more than one user.
Now that we have many devices in our homes to connect like mobile phones, laptops, computers etc. On the other hand, when MU-MIMO came along, this problem was solved. Thus, it must be in your router.
4. Number of Devices That Can Be Connected
It is not like you can connect any number of devices to a router you want. Every router can connect only a limited number of devices. Expensive routers can connect even more than fifty devices.
However, you should only choose the one which has only a few more capacity than you require so that if in the future you have a new smart device to connect to, you would not have to buy a new router. Also, features like ethernet ports and USB ports will help you connect devices through cables.
5. Security Protocols
One connects all his smart devices to the router. There is continuous data transfer going on in the network. If the network is not secure, then there is a threat to the privacy of the user. Your network would be prone to viruses and data theft.
Hence, sturdy security protocols are significant. Such protocols include firewall, WPA, WPA2 encryption, virus scanner and more. These features work together to make the system safer.
We often think that an expensive router is always going to be the best. However, that is not the case. Many routers are just overpriced and do not offer many features. This does not apply to all expensive routers, but it is true for some.
Hence, the best way to find a router worthy of its price is by proper research. Compare different brands that offer the features you demand in your router. Take the help of the reviews to find if the router is actually worthy of its price or not. This will help you find a router at the best cost possible.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why get a new router instead of using the router provided by your ISP?
A1. Our Internet Service Provider also provides us with a router. It may sound convenient, but it is actually less beneficial in the long run. Hence, it is better to buy a new router. There are several reasons for it.
First, if you get an ISP’s router, you have to pay monthly subscription fees. On the other hand, buying a separate router is a one-time investment. You do need to pay some extra money for it. Thus, it is a more affordable method.
Second, ISP routers are not powerful and efficient when compared to other routers. New routers offer a lot more range and speed. Moreover, there are plenty of other features that are not available in ISP routers.
Also, new routers use the latest and the best technology, whereas ISP routers can be outdated. New routers provide more control and security in the network. There are parental control and mobile apps, through which you can customize the network on your own terms.
Q2. What are the perks of beamforming technology?
A2. With beamforming technology, the signal is concentrated in a specific direction towards a device instead of spreading it around. This allows the signal to retain its quality even in the presence of obstacles like walls, doors etc. Hence, providing the maximum speed possible to the devices and minimizing interference. In simple terms, it makes the signal reliable and stable.
Q3. What is the use of ethernet ports on a router?
A3. Ethernet ports are used to connect devices through wired connections. There are many reasons why an ethernet port is included in the router. Ethernet ports offer a more secure and reliable connection as data transmission is done through wires.
If you are into online gaming, you should prefer using laptops or computers connected to the router via an ethernet cable as it provides a better and lag-free gaming experience. Moreover, ethernet is faster than a wireless connection and can transfer large data quickly.
Most people have routers in their apartment for better wifi connections. After reading the entire article, we hope that now you have an idea about some of the good routers and their attributes. If you are planning to get the best router for apartment, then you must consider the key factors in the buying guide so that you are able to find the best one for yourself. Also, if you are looking for some budget and performance options then you might take a look at Best Router under 150$.
Last update on 2021-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API