Do you want to upgrade your wireless router stability without compromising the network security? If yes, then a DD-WRT router is what you require. DD-WRT router when expanded is Dresden-Wireless Router, it was designed in a way to give access to the full capacity and functions of the router.
DD-WRT gives you a faster connection, enhanced VPN performance, more customization options, improved security, and better QoS. The demand for such routers is increasing rapidly due to the rise in the use of smart devices. There are hundreds of them available in the market and it can be a demanding task to choose one option.
Thus, we have made a list of the 7 best DD-WRT routers to simplify your task. Also, in this article, you will find a buying guide which comprises some important functions that must be checked before coming to a decision.
1. Asus AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router with Aiprotection Network Security and Parental Control (RT-AC68U) – Top Choice
Asus RT-AC68U is the best router for DDWRT around, which can meet the increasing need for WiFi demands and offers value for money. This unit has an outstanding range of 3000 sq. Ft. thanks to the three external antennas.
With the router app, it is simple to install and run. It has a 1 GHz dual-core CPU while the speed provided is up to 1900 Mbps. The Trend Micro protection software to detect any virus or threats. The operating system includes Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, Mac OS, etc.
The dimensions of this unit are 6.3-inches in length, 3.3-inches in width, and 8.6-inches in height.
Why is it unique?
With the Asus Router app, you can control and manage the network from your device. Additionally, it comes with a guest service to provide a different server for the guests to secure your WiFi. The wide coverage lets you connect devices all around the house, from the living room to the backyard. Four Gigabit ports are also included with this purchase.
The reviews show that this router has impressed the buyers with its high-grade performance. According to the customers, the router has the features and functionality that it promised. With its ability for swift connections and large area coverage, it has become their first choice.
Best fit for
AC1900 is the top choice for gaming purposes. The high speed and other functions offered by this device deliver a seamless and smooth gaming experience.
- Dual band with the latest 802; 11 AC 3x3 technology for combined speeds of up to 1900 Mbps
- 1 GigaHertz dual core CPU enables smart multitasking by dedicating separate lanes for Wi Fi and USB data; Network...
- Effortless router setup with the ASUSWRT web based interface; Dual band connectivity for compatibility and performance
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS router app
2. TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) – Works with Alexa, VPN Server, Parental Control
The second on our list is the AC1750. This 5 GHz router offers a high speed and range. The parental control offers meticulous management of the user profiles, content filters, device screening time, and network insights.
Besides this, it has wireless encryption and guest mode, ensuring that the device’s security is never compromised. You can link to Alexa for voice commanding. The tether app simplifies that task of installation and running process.
This unit’s dimensions are 9.59 inches in length, 6.32 inches in width, and 1.29 inches in height. Along with that, it has a sleek and smart design.
Why is it unique?
The speed offered is 1750 Mbps in a range of 2500 sq. ft owing to the three antennas. This router is capable of connecting 50+ devices. The USB 2.0 port, four LAN ports, and one WAN port are part of this router.
Most buyers recommend this router due to its high speed, long-range, and the capacity of devices it can connect. It can be concluded by analyzing different customers’ feedback that this router is indeed the best one you can get.
Best fit for
It is designed in a way to be very versatile. It is ideal for offices with its large capacity, while its high speed also makes it best for gaming and streaming.
- JD Power Award ---Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Router for wireless internet, works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450mbps for 2.4GHz, 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering...
- 3 external antennas for long range Wi-Fi. System Requirements-Internet Explorer 11, Firefox 12.0, Chrome 20.0, Safari...
3. NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6120) – AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Speed (upto 1200 Mbps) – Best Overall
With the R6120, you can upgrade your WiFi connectivity and network to a more considerable extent. The speed delivered by this router is 1200 Mbps so that you can enjoy your favorite games in HD without any trouble.
Safeguarding your network from data theft and viruses is crucial. Hence this router has a WPA/WPA2 wireless security system and firewall protection, and a guest network.
The nighthawk app makes the setup process simple and offers parent control to control what websites the children can access. This unit’s dimensions are 7.05 inches in length, 8.62 inches in width, and 4.29 inches in height.
Why is it unique?
The range of this router is 1200 sq. ft. The number of devices that can be connected is up to 20 devices. Additionally, it also has four 10/100 fast ethernet and one 2.0 USB port. The guest network feature provides a separate network for your guest to secure your WiFi and personal information.
Most buyer’s responses to this router are positive. They are satisfied with this router’s performance and claim that it has all the attributes a good router requires. The WiFi signal quality is excellent. Hence, they suggest buying this router.
Best fit for
As per the router’s functions, it would be most beneficial to use it for HD gaming and streaming. However, you can use it for internet browsing as well.
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1200 sq ft wireless coverage with AC1200 speed (Dual band up to 300 + 900 Mbps).
- RECOMMENDED FOR UP TO 20 DEVICES: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- WIRED ETHERNET PORTS: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x...
- USB CONNECTIONS: Share a storage drive or printer with any network connected device using the 1 x 2.0 USB port.
4. NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700 – AC1750 Wireless Speed Up to 1750 Mbps | Armor Security – Best Performance
The Netgear R6700 is one of the best routers for DD-WRT that you can find in the market. This 5 GHz router can operate on Windows XP, 7, 8, 10, Vista, 2000, Mac OS, and Linux. The speed offered is high enough for smooth online streaming and gaming.
It is designed to provide maximum security to protect all the connected devices from viruses and data stealing. The circle smart parent control app allows the user to control the content and device screen time.
Additional features include three antennas, one 3.0 USB port, four 1 GB gigabit ports for swift wired connectivity, and a separate network system for guests. The dimensions of the R6700 are 11.22-inches in height, 7.2-inches in width, and 2.44-inches in height.
Why is it unique?
We recommend this router because it delivers up to 1750 Mbps of speed with 1500 sq. ft area coverage. Immaculate WiFi connectivity for 25 devices. The nighthawk app makes the setup easier for everyone.
Just plug in the router, and the app will guide you on how to link your devices, and you are good to go. You can also add voice control by connecting it to an Alexa device.
Speaking of the buyers’ reviews, it can be said that most buyers found this device efficient and worthy of the price. The device’s speed and range are the features that impressed most customers. The security features included in this model make it trustworthy. Consequently, we can say that most people would recommend R6700.
Best fit for
Its wide range of connectivity is most suitable for people who have many smart devices in their homes. Also, it is beneficial for people who have children to control the website and content access.
- Recommended for up to 25 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired Ethernet ports: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1...
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming plus,...
- USB connections: Share a storage drive or printer with any connected device or create a personal cloud storage to access...
5. ASUS AC2900 WiFi Dual-band Gigabit Wireless Router with 1.8GHz Dual-core Processor and AiProtection Network Security – Best Compatible
Designed for high speed and smooth data transfer, this product offers 8 GHz with a total speed of 2917 Mbps. The Asus router app serves many purposes, from setting up the network to managing usage.
With parental control, limit the device screening time and control the websites that can be accessed. Moreover, it has a 1.8 Hz 32-bit dual-core processor, which manages the network traffic and performs efficiently.
Other features include 3.1 Gen 1 USB, 2400 sq ft coverage, and four-gigabit ports. The AC2900 comes in 6.2 inches in length, 3.3 inches in width, and 8.66 inches in height.
Why is it unique?
With the MU-MIMO technology, it can give each device a speedy connection without slowing the network. You can prioritize your gaming devices for latency-free gaming. It has protection software by Trend Micro to guard against viruses, malware, and stealing of data. Control it through voice command by adding an Alexa device.
The reviews suggest that buyers do not regret their purchase. This unit can handle various wireless devices while working efficiently. With the coverage area as wide, the buyer has a WiFi connection in every corner of the house. In short, people will advise investing in this router.
Best fit for
Keeping in mind the distinct features offered, this product is most suitable for gaming and streaming. MU-MIMO technology offers the best gaming experience.
- Dual-band (2. 4 + 5 GHz) AC2900 wireless router with the latest 802. 11AC MU-MIMO technology for data transfer speeds up...
- 1. 8GHz 32bit dual-core processor optimizes network traffic and connectivity speeds from the USB 3. 1 Gen1 and 4x...
- Designed for lag-free online gaming and flawless 4K UHD streaming with WTFast game Accelerator and adaptive QoS; Product...
- A protection powered by Trend Micro provides built-in 24/7 protection from external attacks and threats, neutralizing...
6. TP-Link N450 Wireless Internet Router for Home (TL-WR940N) – Best Affordable
The TP-Link TL-WR940N is a trustworthy router that offers a speed of 450 Mbps with a frequency range of 2.4 GHz. The antennas make sure that there is more coverage and a stable connection.
The operating system can be Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Vista, MAC OS, NetWare, and Linux. The parent control lets you decide what and how the websites the children can access.
This unit’s dimensions are 5.7-inches in length, 9.1 inches in width, and 1.4 inches in height. Moreover, you can connect a modem for cable connection.
Why is it unique?
The features and functions of these products make it reliable and efficient. You can decide to customize the bandwidth each device receives. The four fast ethernet ports are included with this purchase. The three antennas provide a long range of connectivity and a seamless connection.
The people who bought this unit are happy with their investment. They find it easy to set up and operate. In the customers’ opinion, the product is what it promises and is available at a feasible cost.
Best fit for
It is advisable to use this router if you need it for home or home office devices. As the speed is not very high, it might not be the best option for gaming and streaming.
- Wireless N speed up to 450Mbps, ideal for bandwidth-intensive tasks like HD video streaming, VoIP, and online gaming....
- 802.11n technology, 15x faster with 5x the range of 802. 11g, Three antennas for increased coverage and stability,...
- IP based bandwidth control allows you to determine how much bandwidth is allotted to each device, WPS button for...
- Parental Controls to manage Internet access on children's or employees's computers, Industry-leading 2-year and...
Last but not least, AC1200 comprises all the features a good router needs to have. This dual-band wireless router offers a frequency of 5 GHz with beamforming for a 70 percent more comprehensive range. You can link up to 20 devices with this router.
To ensure absolute security, it allows you to run diagnostics and resolve any security problems. With a blacklist, you can prohibit unknown devices from connecting to the router. There is a guest network specifically created to let guest devices link to the WiFi securely.
The data transfer speed offered is 1167 Mbps with four 5dBi dual-band antennas. This unit is 5.57 inches in length, 1.93 inches in width, and 8.66 inches in height.
Why is it unique?
The AC1200 has some unique features like a Tenda app to manage the router from anywhere. The parent control function controls the websites that a child can access. The built-in Broadcom 900 Mhz ARM cortex A7 allows you to enjoy a lag-free video experience. Besides having such functions, this router comes with an aesthetic design.
After analyzing the feedback given by numerous users, it is clear that this router is just what it promises. According to the buyers, this unit gives an excellent performance and is easy to set up. Moreover, people find it simple to set up. Hence, it is suggested by many of them.
Best fit for
This product’s functions make it appropriate for most devices around the house or even in a small office. You can use this for seamless online streaming and gaming.
- Get lightning quick connections for all your wireless devices by upgrading to Tenda's enhanced 1200 Mbps high speed Wi...
- Link up to 20 wireless devices like the Google assistant, Alexa and various steaming devices, simultaneously, while...
- 4 omni directional antennas with beamforming and Mu Mimo technology, deliver high speed internet throughout your home...
- Manage your network from anywhere with the fun to use Tenda Wi fi app and access helpful tools like our parent friendly...
The above descriptive information of the DD-WRT routers might have given you the idea of what you are buying and what suits you best. Before coming to any conclusion, you must look into a few key points that will ensure that you buy the best routers for DD-WRT. These include-
Internet speed is the most important factor to consider when purchasing a router. DD-WRT does not increase the internet speed of the router. It only ensures that the router enables the maximum internet speed to perform online activities without any interference. Buy a router with a higher speed rating or provide your preferable speed.
A simple Web search requires only a 2.4 GHz connection to function effectively. The advanced tasks require higher frequencies to work correctly. A 5.6 GHz connection is adequate for performing advanced activities. It is advisable to purchase a 5.6 GHz connection to high-quality stream videos (4K and HD resolution) or play multiplayer games online.
The range is the maximum distance a wireless router can cover and broadcast the signal. It is an important aspect to consider when buying a router. DD-WRT does not increase the range of the router. It ensures the router broadcasts signal to the optimum range possible. You should keep your house’s size or room in mind to choose the best DD-WRT compatible routers that can transmit WiFi signals over the maximum area.
Every DD-WRT router has different specifications and additional features to improve functionality. Some low-quality models are designed using a single-core CPU with less RAM. These routers can run only the built-in systems. It is difficult to run third party firmware installations on such models. Some superior quality models provide a strong CPU with a lot of storage(RAM), which can efficiently perform third-party firmware.
- Number of devices
DD-WRT routers with advanced functionality enable you to determine the number of devices it can support simultaneously. Buy a router taking account of the number of electronic gadgets you want your router to support. Try to purchase a router that can support many devices as there can be an increase in the number of gadgets in the future.
There are two methods to upgrade the firmware flash. One method is to update the firmware flash yourself. This method is cheaper, but it involves the risk of malfunction if not properly upgraded. It does not provide a warranty if it does not work properly. The second method is to buy the pre-installed firmware flash from the manufacturer directly. This method is expensive but provides a warranty ensuring that the router is tested with DD-WRT and works properly before selling it.
Budget is a crucial factor that matters the most. You can find good DD-WRT easily in the above list, which is less expensive and has value for money. It is better to invest one time and buy a good DD-WRT router than to buy an inexpensive one that is not reliable.
Also, it’s important to develop a budget first if money is your priority, because if you search for the DD-WRT router list without a budget, then you may have to step back from the one you desire if it doesn’t fall under your budget. So, it’s important to have a budget and then look for the best options that you can buy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What do you mean by DD-WRT router firmware?
A1. It is Linux-based firmware, which is designed to improve the conduct and functions of wireless internet routers. With the help of this firmware, you can control the network and increase its versatility.
Q2. Is buying a pre-flashed router better than the one in which flash is to be operated?
A2. The answer relies on whether you have proper experience and knowledge or not. If you think you are capable of flashing routers, then no need to buy a pre-flashed router. This will also strip down the expenses. However, if you do not feel confident in doing it by yourself, do not hesitate to buy a pre-flashed one.
Q3. What are the benefits of DD-WRT?
A3. There are multiple benefits to DD-WRT. Listed below are a few of them.
1. Increases power of the router.
2. More control over the actions of the router.
3. Extends the range of the WiFi.
4. Accelerates the connection speed.
5. Decreases the bugs in connectivity.
Now that you have reached the end of the article, you must have some ideas about some of the best DD-WRT routers. When you buy a DD-WRT router, you have to take care of some of the specifications, like its connectivity range, performance, and speed. These are some of the important features that a router should have.
Well, you can make a list of all the features that you want in your DD-WRT router and then set a budget. At last, buy the router that fits your budget and has maximum of the features you need. You must decide your priorities and choose the ideal DD-WRT router that meets your requirements.
Last update on 2021-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API