If you are reading this article, I believe you pretty much know what an analog to digital converter is. Although most TVs come with integrated converter boxes, there are some old models that do not have such boxes.
If you have such a TV, then you do not need to buy a brand new TV, but you can get a good analog to the digital converter box. But only if it was that simple. Out of hundreds of converter boxes in the market, choosing one is one of the toughest jobs.
Well, we have got you covered. We have reviewed the best analog to digital converter boxes. But you are still confused to know which one to choose from, the best 7? Then you can check the buying guide to find a product that is exactly what you need.
1. Mediasonic ATSC Digital Converter Box with Recording / Media Player / TV Tuner Function (HW130STB) – Best Choice
This converter box from Mediasonic can convert your analog audio to digital audio. You can connect it to projectors, televisions, and computers as well. You can make a list of your favorite channels with this converter box.
Parents can set parental controls to have control over what their kids are watching. Users who would like to record their shows should use a USB 2.0 or 3.0 or an external hard drive with a storage capacity of 2TB. It can only receive over-the-air signals and cannot replace a cable box.
Why is it Unique?
This converter box has auto-tuning features along with a closed caption and timing start-up and shut down. The converter can also record your favorite shows when you are not around. This converter box does not work with channels that have encrypted signals.
Most customers are highly pleased with their buy while some customers expressed discomfort over the quality of the materials used to make the product. This converter box offers to record and offers excellent quality pictures as well. Thereby making it very popular among people.
Best Fit For
This converter box is one of the most sought ones by customers, and It comes with the recording feature that makes it an ideal buy to your house. If you are looking for a converter for your home with additional features, this one is the best one you can buy.
- Receive Over-The-Air Digital Broadcast to your Analog and Digital TV, Projector, and Computer Monitor. Antenna Out...
- HDMI 1080P Output / Composite Out / Coaxial Output, Closed Caption, Auto Tuning, Timing Start Up & Shut Down.
- Real-Time Recording & Programmed Time Recording, recording require user to connect a USB 2.0 or 3.0 2.5" / 3.5" External...
- USB Multimedia function play back Video, Music, Photo from USB Drive
2. ViewTV ATSC Digital Converter Box for TV, HDMI Cable Recording PVR Function Output USB LED Timer Display AT-163 – Best For TV
This converter from ViewTV enables you to convert your analog audio to digital audio. The converter operates with all types of televisions, both new and old, equally.
This converter has a built-in USB port to record your favorite shows. You can also play videos from other external storage devices such as a hard drive. I
To make recording more accessible, the USB port is placed in front of the device. It offers closed caption as well. This converter is compatible with televisions, monitors, laptops, and projectors; you can use an HDMI cable to connect it.
The number of channels you can access depends on the location of the antenna, along with the distance between the tower and the antenna. to
Why is it Unique?
This converter box allows you to convert your analog audio to digital audio and use it as a personal recorder. You can use the recording feature with a USB.
It has a compact structure and can be placed anywhere, thereby allowing you to save space. Parents can control what their kids are watching and can create a list of their favorite channels.
The buyers are delighted with their purchase. Most of the customers have liked the compact-sized design of this converter box. This product is durable and offers an interface to its users, thereby making it a preferred converter. Buyers have given positive reviews about it.
Best Fit For
This converter box is a perfect fit for your house. If you live in a small household, you can easily place this device behind the television or in limited space because of its compact size. The converter is made of suitable quality materials and can last for a while too.
- Convert Digital Broadcasts to Analog TV - Ready to cut out the cable? ViewTV digital converter box allows you to record...
- Our Modern TV Tuner Has it All - We updated our TV tuner box with hdmi output, auto tuning, electronic programming...
- Record Your Favorite Shows - With our DVR recorder for TV, you can pre-record and record, pause, and rewind live TV....
- Tons of Free to Air Channels to Choose From - Unlike outdated DVR recorders for TV, ViewTV AT-163 DTV box is easy to set...
3. Analog to Digital Audio Converter, Hdiwousp RCA R/L or 3.5mm Jack AUX to Digital Coaxial Toslink Optical SPDIF Audio Adapter for PS4 Xbox HDTV DVD Headphone (Aluminum) – Best Overall
This TV analog to digital converter from Hdiwousp can convert analog signals to digital signals, thereby eliminating all the connection problems of the audio appliance.
It has a metal case covering that ensures that the disturbances caused by interferences are more minor and the sound produced is pure.
The converter has a chip that is built inside it that helps in maintaining a stable signal. This converter can support two signal formats which are PCM and LPCM.
A fiber optic cable, 5V1A power adapter, USB power supply, and a user manual are available in the package. It does not support Dolby sound.
Why is it Unique?
The converter is compact and can be installed easily. It can function under various conditions. You have to plug in and play, and installation of external drives is not required. It works well with most audio devices.
Most of the buyers are satisfied with this converter. It does it working perfectly. The features offered by this converter are popular among buyers. They have liked the remote control of the converter.
Best Fit For
This converter works perfectly for users who want to convert their analog audio to digital audio. It works perfectly as advertised and can be controlled using the remote. If you are looking to buy a converter to convert your analog audio to digital audio, you should give this converter a chance.
- 【Analog to Digital Audio Adapter】Converts R/L RCA analog stereo audio signal to Digital Coaxial audio and Toslink...
- 【Wide Compatibility】Compatible with devices with RCA plug or 3.5mm jack output, Simple installation and easy...
- 【Note】1.Please choose PCM/LPCM on your TV. 2.Please shut off Dolby during use. 3. The cable and the interface must...
- 【Plug and Play】Please don't forget to set the audio output of L/R or 3.5mm Aux Port to PCM or LPCM as it is not...
4. Musou RCA Analog to Digital Optical Toslink Coaxial Audio Converter Adapter with Optical Cable Power Adapter – Best Performance
This analog converter is one of the best ones you can buy in the market. It has received a lot of reviews from satisfied customers.
It cannot be used to convert digital audio to analog audio. Before plugging in any device, you should pay attention to the input and output of this converter.
The input is R/L and has a power supply of 5v1A, and the output of the converter is Toslink and coaxial. It comes with a digital audio cable with a length of 15ft, and it ensures that there is no loss of signal.
The converter supports uncompressed audio channels. It provides that there is no noise due to electromagnetic transmission.
Why is it Unique?
This analog converter can convert analog audio from stereo R/L input to both coaxial and Toslink outputs simultaneously. The power supply of this converter is at 5v1A. It supports an output sampling rate of 48 kHz.
Buyers are highly pleased with their purchase. They like the features offered by this converter, like good quality sound and allows you to control the volume. Plus, it is easy to install this converter.
Best Fit For
This analog to digital TV converter can be a perfect accessory to both your personal and professional life. The compact size of this converter allows you to carry it anywhere you want. It will enable you to play your audio at your preferred volume.
- This is a Analog to Digital converter(Can NOT be used as a Digital to Analog Converter),Converts analog stereo audio...
- Please note carefully the input and output of Musou Analog to Digital converter: INPUT is R/L and a 5v1A power supply,...
- Digital audio cable length can run up to 15 feet without signal degradation. Supports output sampling rate at 48KHz
- Supports uncompressed 2-channel LPCM digital audio signal output.Supports output sampling rate at 48 KHz.【Solve audio...
5. Analog to Digital Audio Converter, Tiancai 2RCA R/L or 3.5 mm Jack Aux to Toslink SPDIF Optical and Coaxial, Support Dual Ports Output Simultaneously, with Power Adapter – Best Sound Quality
This analog to the digital audio converter from Tiancai is one of the best ones available. The converter is compatible with smartphones, tablets, radio, laptops, televisions, MP3, PS3, DVD players, and home theatre systems. This brand has offered technical assistance whenever needed.
It can convert stereo R/L or 3.5 mm Jack analog to a coaxial digital signal or Toslink Optical SPDIF. You have to select the PCM or LPCM option on your television.
Dolby has to be switched off while you are using this converter. You will receive a USB charging cable and a manual along with this converter.
Why is it Unique?
You can plug in the audio signal input device and start playing without installing any external software. This converter is compatible with all devices having an RCA plug or a 3.5 mm Jack output.
Buyers are delighted with their purchase. It fits in their budget and provides the sound of good quality. In addition to it, the converter is sheer and can be installed easily. Thereby making it an attractive converter to customers.
Best Fit For
For anyone looking to buy an analog to digital audio converter, this product is an ideal buy. The converter offers you many impressive features, such as budget purchase and control of the audio volume. It offers high-quality audio.
- 【Analog to Digital Converter】Converts Stereo R/L or 3.5mm Jack analog signal to Toslink Optical SPDIF or Coaxial...
- 【Wide Compatibility】Compatible with devices with RCA plug or 3.5mm jack output, such as TV / PS3 / MP3 / DVD player...
- 【Plug and Play】No software,drivers needed, just connect the audio signal input device and speaker to the product to...
- 【Note】1.Please choose PCM/LPCM on your TV. 2.Please shut off Dolby during use. If you have any questions,please...
6. Avedio links Analog to Digital Audio Converter, RCA Analog to Digital Optical Toslink Coaxial Audio Adapter – Easy To Use
Avedio is one of the best manufacturers of audio converters. This converter allows you to convert R/L RCA analog stereo audio signal to digital Toslink SPDIF optical digital audio and coaxial audio at the same time.
It supports uncompressed 2-channel LPCM digital audio signal as well. The supported output sampling rate is at 48 kHz.
You receive an input audio connector, a power adapter, and a user manual along with this converter. The power supply of the adapter is 110V to 240V.
Why is it Unique?
This analog to digital audio converter provides high-quality audio and has a digital audio cable of 15 ft in length. It ensures that there is no noise disturbance due to electromagnetic transmission. You can plug in any audio device and play it easily without installing any external software.
Most of the customers are highly satisfied with their buy. Customers are pleased with their purchases as it can be easily used and has good features and offers a good quality sound. Plus, it is a good value for money.
Best Fit For
For anyone who is looking for an audio converter that is a good value for the money spent along with offering good audio, this is the best audio converter you can buy. In addition to that, this converter can be installed easily.
- Analog to Digital Audio Adapter: Converts R/L RCA analog stereo audio signal to Digital Coaxial audio and Toslink Spdif...
- Electromagnetic-noise-free Transmission: Digital audio cable length can run up to 15 feet without signal degradation....
- Multi-Point Connection: Input Audio Connector:1x L/R Port; Output Audio Connector:1x Toslink, 1x Coaxial. Powered by...
- Plug and Play: Easy to install and simple to operate. You just need connect your Analog to Digital Audio Converter and...
7. Hdiwousp RCA L/R Analog to Digital Optical SPDIF Coaxial Audio Converter Adapter with Toslink Cable and Power Adapter – Best Features
This converter from Hdiwousp can convert audio left and right signals to digital SPDIF or Toslink. It has a digital cable with a length of 15 ft without any reduction in the strength of the signal.
Coaxial cable and Toslink digital output can be used simultaneously. An adapter of 5v1A powers the Coaxial cabler of 5v1A.
This converter cannot be used to convert digital audio to analog audio. The converter can be used with televisions, recorders, laptops, PS3, Apple TV, and many other devices.
Why is it Unique?
This converter can convert analog audio to digital audio without any noise disturbances due to electromagnetic transmission. It can be used with all devices having an RCA plug or a 3.5 mm jack output. You have to select PCM/LPCM as the format of the audio in the audio source device.
Most of the buyers are highly pleased with their purchase as this converter offers them many features. In addition to these features, the converter can be installed efficiently and provides high-quality audio for users. If you are looking for a long-lasting converter, this is not the one for you.
Best Fit For
This converter box works as a solution to all your audio problems. It is designed to help you in your personal and professional life. It provides the sound of outstanding quality. If you are looking for a converter that can be installed pretty quickly and offers high-quality sound, this is the one for you.
- 【Analog to digital audio converter】Convert analog left/right signals into digital S/PDIF or TOSLink. TOSlink and...
- 【 Converts R/L RCA analog signal 】Digital audio cable length can run up to 15 feet without signal degradation....
- 【Plug and Play】Simple installation and easy operation. No extral drive installation matter. Powered by USB Cable.Can...
- 【Wide Compatibility】Compatible with devices with RCA plug or 3.5mm jack output, such as TV/PS3/MP3/DVD...
What Is An Analog To Digital Converter Box?
An analog to digital converter box is actually a digital television adapter (DTA). It is also referred to as a converter or decoded box. This is a TV tuner that receives digital TV transmissions that are the signals and convert these signals to analog signals so that the TV can receive them and broadcast channels.
The signal input to the digital converter box can be either from over-the-air signals received by an antenna or signals from a digital cable system. However, it is different from the set-top box that comes with a satellite TV. These are used with old analog TVs that do not have converters already built in them.
Here we an in-depth review on some of the best digital converter boxes present in the market. Do check them out.
Buyer’s Guide : Factors To Know Before Purchasing One
Now, you know what the best analog to digital converter boxes is, it is time that you decide which of these is perfect for you. Here we are going to provide some points that, when considered, can help you find an excellent unit for yourself.
The first thing to consider is whether the converter box you are choosing is compatible with your TV or not. Most TVs are connected to the box using an HDMI port. If you have the same, then do check that your converter box has an HDMI port.
On the other hand, some TV also has coaxial inputs then you would need a converter box with the required compatibility. Whatever type of input your TV supports, you will need a box with similar output.
Durability is a universal factor of the buying guide. Regardless of what product you are buying, you have to consider its durability. The same applies to analog to digital converter boxes. Whichever unit you are choosing, ensure that it is made from high-quality materials. It should be reliable and dependable.
Of course, the higher the resolution is, the better will be your viewing experience. But the resolution of your converter box should also be according to your TV. If you have a 480p TV, then buying a 1080p converter box is not necessary. So, you also need to consider the resolution of the TV when deciding the resolution of your converter box.
4. User Interface
For a user to take advantage of all the features of a converter box, it should have a simple user interface. The less time you have to put in to set up and use the box better will be the user experience. Thus, it is important that you check if the unit you are selecting is easy to use or not.
5. Extra Features
A basic digital converter box is a good choice for anyone who has a limited budget. Although, if you want more than just basic features and are ready to spend some extra money for it, then there are some units that have advanced features to offer.
These include Dolby atmos, parental control, automatic recording, and more. These features can come in very handy and hence, are worth the investment. So, if you need such features, do check the specifications on a unit to know whether it offers these features or not.
Though it is the last factor in the buying guide, price is something that we give most priority when purchasing. There is no fixed ideal price for a converter box. It varies depending upon the features a unit has.
But you have to make sure that whatever price you are paying, the product should be worth the value. A product should have a long warranty. Also, consider the customer reviews to know whether the digital converter box worked as well as advertised or not.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How to reset a converter box without using a remote?
A1. A digital converter box can be reset without using the remote. This is very handy when you have lost the remote or when it is not in working condition. Thus, it is a piece of information everyone should know. To reset the box, you first have to unplug the box and switch off the TV, wait for at least 30 seconds. At this time, the box would reset itself. Now plug in the digital converter box again, and you are good to go. It is a simple and short process.
Q2. Do I need a digital converter box with a Smart TV?
A2. No. As mentioned before, all the new models of the TV already have a built-in converter. So, if you have a new TV, you do not have to worry about getting an analog to digital converter. Manufacturing of Analog TVs has ceased. So, it is impossible to buy a new analog TV unless you already have an old one at home. Thus, if you have an old analog TV, then you have to consider getting a converter box.
Q3. How to set up a digital converter box?
A3. A digital converter box should come with a step-by-step manual to guide you through the process of installation. The steps might be as follows –
If you look at the back end of your TV, you will find a From Antenna port. You have to unplug the coaxial cable plugged in the From Antenna port of your TV and plug it into the From Antenna port of the digital converter box.
You must find another import port named Out to TV or To TV or anything similar. Here, you have two options: either you can plug a different coaxial cable into the To TV (RF), or you can insert the RCA composite cables. The RCA composite cables are two colored cables (yellow, white, and red).
The next step is connecting the converter box to the TV. Take the coaxial cable or the RCA composite cables from the Out to TV ports and connect them accordingly to From Antenna ports.
Now plug in your TV and the converter box to the power source and switch them on. Consider the manual that came with the converter box for decoding the antenna signals. Switch to channel two or four on your TV and follow the on-screen instructions. After finishing the process, you will be able to watch channels on your analog TV.
It is great that we live in a world where technology is present to solve our problems at an affordable price. If your TV does not have its own converter box, then you don’t have to buy a new TV, but you can simply buy a converter box.
If you were on the quest of finding an excellent analog to the digital converter box, then after reading the entire article, you must have got a pretty good idea about how to go about it.
Remember, the most important step while purchasing a unit is to evaluate the buying guide to check how useful it may be for you. We hope that you found this article on best analog to digital converter was helpful to you.
Last update on 2023-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API